NOTE: AFTER RECENT CHANGES I AM HAVING PROBLEMS FINDING A PLUGIN THAT CAN DISPLAY AMAZON PRODUCTS.
PLEASE SEE MY “KIT” FOR THESE PRODUCTS IF THEY ARE NOT DISPLAYING HERE:
How to Use This Guide
The DJI Osmo Mobile 3 changed the game a bit with it’s folding design and mic/plug clearance. However, you’ll still need some accessories to mount microphones, lights, etc.
The FreeVision Vilta-M Pro offers many Moza Mini-Mi features, with a few additional ones as well.
Below is a list of the best cell phone gimbals and accessories that I have found. When you click and image you will be directed to the product on Amazon. You can check out several products if you’d like; they will each open in a new tab. Simply sign-in to Amazon if you want to add them to your cart; that way you can view them together, or to save for later. If you have any questions you can post them in the comments; I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
I’ve spent a lot of time using both the DJI Osmo Mobile 2, and the Moza Mini-Mi phone gimbals. I’ve also spent a ton of time researching the best accessories and setup. These include microphones, mounting arms, audio adapters, LED lights, etc. See the video reviews, including a comprehensive guide to external audio for gimbals, on YouTube (videos above). Below you will find what I believe to be the best, highest value, and easiest to obtain cell phone gimbals and accessories. If you’re not familiar with gimbals, they are devices that stabilize your phone, ultimately resulting in smoother footage. Cell Phone Gimbals are an inexpensive way to capture smoother footage, take selfie style photos and videos, hyperlapse, timelapse, motion timelapse, and even track yourself as you move.
Cell Phone Gimbals
1. New Kid on the Block [DJI Osmo Mobile 3]
Foldable, Gestures, Quick Roll
Capactity: 200 +/-30 g
2. Most Feature Rich [FreeVision Vilta-M Pro]
Focus/Zoom Wheel, Wired and Wireless Charging, 360° Pan, 330° Tilt, 360° Roll Motion, Bluetooth compatability
3. Highest Weight Capacity, Wireless Charging, Spinning (Inception Mode) [Moza Mini-Mi]
4. Focus Pull & Zoom [Zhiyun Smooth 4]
5. The Underdog [Freevision Vilta M]
iPhone Lightning Splitter/Adapters
These allow you to fit your phone closer to the gimbal by forming a right angle. You can then charge your phone (if you want), and connect the headphone side to a microphone to record better audio; watch the video above if you want to check it out.
You will still need the lightning to 3.5 mm audio adapter. Unfortunately these are constantly changing on Amazon, and many reviews are fake, or not even for the product. Here are the best one’s I can find.
Lightning to 3.5mm audio adapter
Other Audio Adapters
Right angle 3.5mm adapter
Rode SC4 (allows TRS microphones like the VideoMicro to connect to smartphones)
Rode SC4 alternative
Rode SC7 (for connecting the Rode Wireless GO and other microphones to smartphones)
Mounting Brackets & Hardware
For microphones, LED Lights, Recorders, or anything else you want to mount.
For All Gimbals with a 1/4″ Tripod Mount on the Bottom
1. Get’s the Microphone Closer to Your Mouth
2. Compact with Three Cold Shoe Mounts
3. Heavy Duty and Most Customizable
For the DJI Osmo Mobile 2 Only
Universal counterweight for balancing gimbals
Microphones & Microphone Accessories
1. For Any Device with 3.5mm Microphone Jack or with An Adapter
2. If Sound is Really Important to You
3. Not Recommended in Most Applications, but May Work for Certain Uses
Record external audio
The Zoom H1N recorder and Mic J Lavalier microphone produce excellent quality audio at an affordable price. You would need to synchronize the audio with video, but it does deliver quality and consistent audio.
1. Best Small Yet Sturdy Mini Tripod
2. Small Tripod for Gimbals, Point & Shoot, DSLR’s, etc. Removable (Arca Swiss Style) Plate, Ball Head, 90 Degrees Tiltable, and Capable of Handling the Weight of a Cell Phone Gimbal.
3. Small & Simple Mini Tripod (Not the Most Stable, but Great for General Use)
4. Gimbal Extension Stick
Micro SD Cards
1. Good for Video & Inexpensive, V30, GoPro Recommended – UHS speed Class 3 (U3), video speed Class 30 (V30) and Class 10 for 4K UHD and full HD video. (Up to 100 MB/s)
2. Up to 100MB/s & 90MB/s read & write speeds respectively; Class 10 UHS 3. Suitable for 1080p and 4K phone recording, but not for newer GoPro’s.